Thursday, September 24, 2009

Walking Out on 9/24 (today)

I'm still up researching and writing my paper for Advertising. I am hoping to finish this paper tonight, or even perhaps in the morning, so I can participate fully in the protests that is happening TODAY all across California on UC campuses. I've recently heard that community college is also hurt and De Anza College in Cupertino has thousands of students not being able to add classes they want and need. This shit is crazy.


Reflecting on what I've been going through in college, I'm very grateful to be in a time period like this: the first person of color/mixed race person to become president and being in Berkeley to witness the mass reveling on the streets and this mass protest movement that is happening today all over the UCs. I find it incredibly unfair to take so much money away from education in a time like this especially when education is the basis for our social structure and the underserved's mobility. 3% of the state budget is cut, and 30% is cut from education. Tuition is raised from $6,000 to $10,000 which ironically shows that public education is slowly becoming privatized.

Sorry, but after years of struggle, movements and fight for civil rights from many people, it is again overturned even more with something like this. Sorry, but the door for college is gonna be shut for a lot more people like people of color and immigrants. Sorry, it's not gonna happen. You tell me if this is democracy when more people are going to become more disenfranchised because. You tell me if it's fair to slowly move into segregation AGAIN.

War - The World is a Ghetto

this may be true, if education is only accessible to a few, and barred off from many.

No comments: